Monday, August 13, 2018

Day 7: Pierogi, Lentil Joes and Black Bean Burgers


On Tuesday I took a break from cooking.  I took my kids to an event in the park, we had a picnic and we ran errands, including picking up ground turkey for my SW Burgers (more on that next post).  On Wednesday I got back to cooking with a big project, pierogi.



Day 1: Shopping
Day 2: Chicken and Brisket
Day 3: Jambalaya and More Brisket
Day 4: Veggie Crepes, Potato Tacos and Gyros
Days 5 & 6: Veggie Crepes Continued and Thai Chicken
Day 7: Pierogi, Lentil Joes, and Black Bean Burgers
Final Days and Summary

Wednesday

12:15 - I get started making pierogi.  I'm making a large batch, which requires me do dice 9 onions.  That's a lot to do by hand.  Usually I would use my large food processor, but I haven't been able to find the bowl for it since the move.  I decide to use my mandolin to dice the onions instead.  I get all the onions trimmed and peeled and start dicing them on the mandolin.

12:30 - Okay, a mandolin is good for some things, but dicing onions on one is a slow, tedious pain.  I decide I absolutely need to find my food processor bowl and head down to the basement to look for it.


12:45 - While searching the basement I suddenly remembered where I had packed the bowl, so it didn't take as long to find it as expected.  I head back upstairs to dice the onions.

12:52 - 7 minutes later and I have all 10 onions diced, including an extra onion for the lentil joes.  I also ran my shallots for the falafel through the food processor while I was at it. Now we're in business!

1:05 - The onions have to cook for a while, so I get them on the stove and turn to making lunch for my kids while they cook and getting the baby down for a nap.

1:40 - Time to peel and dice the potatoes.


2:00 - The potatoes are cooking, and I take a break for my lunch while they're cooking.


3:15 - I make the pierogi filling from the cooked potatoes and onions and start shaping the pierogi.

5:20 - Done shaping pierogi and they're in the freezer.

6:00 - I start making the lentil joes.

6:30 - The lentil joes are done and in the freezer.  It went fast since the onions and peppers were already diced when I was working on other things.


9:10 - I get started on the black bean burgers.

10:10 - Black bean burgers are done.

Time Spent Today: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total time: 24 hours 45 minutes

Meals Finished Today: 17
Total Meals So Far: 62

No comments:

Post a Comment