Friday, April 29, 2016

Lentil Joes

I realize that just seeing the the word "lentil" is going to turn some people off, and that would be a shame.  Admittedly, this dish is not a hit with everyone I have ever served it to, but I think it is delicious and the majority of people I have made it for have enjoyed it too.

I even featured a sample of this in a class I taught about inexpensive protein sources.  Over a year later I ran into a lady who had attended the class.  She brought up the class and the lentil joes enthusiastically and said she had been making them regularly ever since even though she had been skeptical initially.  So, I heartily recommend giving these a try even if you're not sure about them.  They freeze great and are very inexpensive at about $0.80 a serving.


From: Veganomicon
Difficulty: Easy
Category: Simple Side

Recipe Column: J

Serves 6

1 cup uncooked lentils*
4 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chile powder
2 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp salt
8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2-3 tbsp real maple syrup
1 tbsp mustard

  1. Pour the lentils and water into a small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over high heat then cover and turn heat to low.  Simmer until the lentils are cooked through.  Drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  Saute the peppers and onions until soft and translucent.  Add the garlic and saute for a minute longer.
  3. Stir in the cooked lentils, chile powder, oregano, and salt.  Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste.  Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
  4. Stir in the syrup and mustard and heat through.
*Red lentils are my favorite as I like their softer texture.  They do kind of disintegrate, making this more like a paste.  I like it this way, but if you want more texture, use brown or green lentils instead.

To freeze:
Cool the mixture to room temperature, divide into containers or bags and freeze.

To serve:
Thaw the mixture and reheat in the microwave or a frying pan.  I like to eat this open face on a piece of toast.  I highly recommend you serve this with freshly pickled cucumbers and something crunchy (like chips or crispy fried onions, like French's) sprinkled on top.  It really make the dish.

1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt or slightly less table salt
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
sprinkle of dry dill

Mix all of the ingredients together in a container and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment