Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Bahn Mi

Shortly after I had smoked and frozen pork butt for the first time a friend described to me a Vietnamese sandwich called a Bahn Mi.  It sounded absolutely delicious, and I knew I had to try it with my frozen pork.  Unfortunately we blew through our frozen pork, and I ran out before I got a chance to make this.  The desire to try bahn mi definitely contributed to me making a second batch of smoked pork so soon after I had made the first.  I usually wait a while before I get around to making a freezer meal again.  This was worth it though.  It was delicious and we definitely be having it again.


There are a lot of parts here, but they are all easy and can be made in advance.

Adapted from: Epicurious
Difficulty: Easy


Serves: 4 - 6

Pickled Vegetables:

2 cups grated carrot
2 cups peeled, grated daikon radish*
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least one hour or overnight.

*The last time I made this my grocery store didn't have daikon radish in stock.  I didn't feel like making a separate trip to an Asian grocery store, so I decided to buy regular radishes.  I think I'll be sticking with them as I liked the regular radishes a little more than the daikon radish.  Plus regular radishes are widely available.

Hot Chili Mayo:

2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 green onions, minced
1 tbsp sriracha

Combine all the ingredients.  This can be done the day before.

Pork:

2 tbsp sesame oil
5 green onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sriracha
2 tbsp sugar
20 oz cooked, shredded pork, about 2 1/2 cups

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  Once the oil is warm add the green onion and garlic an cook just for a minute.  Add the rest of the ingredients and gently simmer together until the pork is warm.  Keep the pan covered between stirring to help the pork heat faster.

Sandwiches:

baguettes
cilantro, chopped

To assemble sandwiches, slice the baguette in half lengthwise.  Spread the baguette halves with the chili mayo.  Add warm pork and vegetables.  Sprinkle with cilantro.  Serve


No comments:

Post a Comment