Friday, November 2, 2018

Thai Chicken Patties

Between the gyro pattiesblack bean burgersSouthwest chicken pattiesfalafel and now Thai chicken patties my summer freezer meals are becoming a variety of patties.  I'm okay with that.  As evidenced by the list above, patties come in a variety of flavors and proteins, so even though the shape is the same they can be vastly different meals.  Patties are also easy.  They're easy to make.  More importantly they're easy to cook.  They require no thawing and can go straight from the freezer to the frying pan.  Plus they cook quickly.  I'm even thinking the next time I make meatloaf I will try making meatloaf patties, so they won't require a long thaw and cook time like meatloaf.  I can also cook just a couple patties for dinner instead of having a large meatloaf we eat for a couple days.


Anyway to these specific patties.  They're delicious.  I made a quadruple batch and wished I had made more.

Difficulty: Easy
Category: Freezer to Pan
Recipe Column: DU


Follow the recipe at Nutmeg Nanny to create the patties.

To freeze:
Place the patties on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.  You can put up to two layers of patties on a pan, separated by parchment paper.  Freeze the patties until solid then transfer the patties to a bag or container for storage.

To serve:
Coat a pan with a thin layer of oil and heat over medium heat.  Place the frozen patties in the pan in a single layer.  Cover with a lid to help the meat cook through.  When the patties are brown on one side, flip and cover with the lid again.  Cook until the patties reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.  You may need to turn down the heat as you cook too keep the outside from burning before the inside gets up to temperature.

The link above has a salad to go with the patties.  I make my version by combining:

1 bag broccoli slaw
1 bag shredded red cabbage
3 green onions, sliced 
1 package fresh mint, thinly sliced
a handful of cilantro, chopped
peanut sauce to taste

Then top with chopped peanuts.

For the peanut sauce, there's a recipes at the link above, but I haven't tried it.  You could make a batch of peanut sauce and freeze like I have done for my peanut chicken noodle bowls.  Lately I have been using a ready-made peanut sauce from the grocery store,  It's easy and delicious.

The recipe creator serves this as a burger with the patty and slaw on a bun.  I just serve it as a nice big salad with the patties on top.

If you don't have the patties, this salad is also delicious topped with smoked chicken.  It has become a favorite salad for lunch for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment