Sunday, January 21, 2018

Easy Mango Lassi

I love Indian food, I have learned to make and freeze some of my favorite Indian meals.  Many grocery stores have also started carrying naan and I find myself going out for Indian food less often.  After all, I have delicious homemade Indian in my freezer.  This is a wonderful thing as I get to have my favorite Indian dishes regularly without having to spend a lot of money.  The downside was that I wasn't getting to have a mango lassi with my Indian dinner.  The obvious solution was to learn to make that as well. 

I tried a few different recipes I found online and wasn't really happy with any of them.  Many called for fresh mango, which while delicious, it is sometimes hard to find ripe ones.  Plus having to peel, pit and cut up mangoes kind of defeats the purpose of having convenient freezer meals.  Then I tried frozen mango chunks from the grocery store.  That did not make a good lassi.  For some reason mango gets really chalky when frozen.  Finally I discovered canned mango and created a tasty and convenient lassi that makes it so I can have the full Indian restaurant dining experience at home.  I'm going to give you the recipe, but it is really flexible.  Don't be afraid to change things around to fit your tastes.

Serves 4

1 15 oz can mango in syrup
2 cups plain yogurt ( I use Greek yogurt, but regular should be fine)
3 cups ice
honey to taste


  1. Pour the mango, including the syrup into a blender.  Add the yogurt and blend until smooth.
  2. My blender wasn't large enough to handle the full recipe, so I poured out half the mango-yogurt mixture into another container.
  3. Add half the ice and blend until smooth.  Add honey to taste.
  4. Pour the lassi into cups to serves.  Repeat step 3 with the rest of the mango-yogurt and the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment