Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Collection of Pancakes

Pancakes are great for freezing, and it's easy to make a huge batch of them.  Plus, they heat well straight from the freezer, which is convenient if you're short on time and forgot to thaw something for breakfast.  We have pancakes at least once a week, so I make a triple or quadruple batch when I make them.

As I've stated before, I like a hearty breakfast.  My day is so much more enjoyable and productive if I start the day by eating something substantial.  Unfortunately, as delicious as traditional light and fluffy flapjacks are, I don't find that they stick with me and keep me going until lunch.  As such I am always on the hunt for more filling pancakes.  Below are a few pancake recipes I freeze that are filling as well as delicious.




To freeze:
After you cook the pancakes, move them from the griddle to a cooking rack.  Let the pancakes cool to room temperature.  Once they are cool, place the pancakes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  You can do two layers of pancakes separated by a layer of parchment paper.  Do not do more than two layers as it will take too long for them to freeze.  Freeze the pancakes on the cookie sheets until solid then move them to a bag or other container for longer storage.  Empty bread bags make great storage bags for pancakes.  You can stack the pancakes up in them.


To serve:
Place up to 4 pancakes on a plate and microwave on high for 1 minute.  Flip the pancakes over and microwave again for 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes.  How long they need will depend on your microwave and the type and thickness of the pancake.

Almond Pancakes
Difficulty: Easy
Category: Breakfast

Recipe Column: Z

These are my absolute favorite pancakes!  They are hearty and filling while still managing to by light and fluffy, an uncommon accomplishment.  Between the almond meal and the Greek yogurt, they are on the pricey side for pancakes, but they are worth it.  I like to eat them with fruit, jam or fruit syrup with a dollop of Greek yogurt for a healthier take on strawberry or other fruit pancakes.

Carrot Pancakes 
Difficulty: Easy
Category: Breakfast

Recipe Column: AZ

These delicious pancakes taste like carrot cake and are a great way to get some more vegetables in your day as about half the batter is shredded carrots.  I definitely recommend using a food processor to grate the carrots.  I don't make the cream cheese topping in advance.  Instead I whip it up in my small food processor on the morning I serve these.  I found the topping too sweet with the amount of sugar called for.  I generally just add one to two tablespoons instead of a quarter cup.

Banana Pancakes
Difficulty: Easy
Category: Breakfast

Recipe Column: BK

I actually had to add these to the spreadsheet as I wrote this.  I never actually plan to make these.  I just do whenever we happen to have overripe bananas hanging around, which is a fairly regular occurrence.  Anyway, these pancakes are delicious and a great way to use up those overripe bananas.

Multi Grain Pancakes
Adapted from: Good to the Grain
Difficulty: Easy
Category: Breakfast

Recipe Column: S

This is a great, basic, buttermilk pancake recipe that happens to be completely whole grain.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup barley flour
2 tbsp millet flour
2 tbsp rye flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
2 cups buttermilk or 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 2 cups, let sit 5 minutes
2 tbsp molasses, not blackstrap
2 eggs
zest from 1 orange(optional)


  1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  In a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients, including the orange zest, together.
  2. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a spatula until just combined.
  3. Heat a griddle over medium-low to medium heat.  Grease the griddle with butter.
  4. Pour the batter onto the griddle by quarter cupfuls.  Let the pancakes cook on the first side until they are golden brown underneath and bubbles are forming on top.  Flip the pancakes and let cook until golden brown on the other side and cooked through.
  5. Transfer the pancakes to a cooling rack.

3 comments:

  1. I just tried the Carrot Pancakes. My kids love them, but then, the love carrot cake too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried the Carrot Pancakes. My kids love them, but then, the love carrot cake too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they liked them and thanks for the feedback!

      Delete